Sunday, December 16, 2012

JROTC

You may have noticed that I wore my Army shirt in my last post. I've been trying to do this for about a year, and have been trying really hard to do so since September. I'd really like to enroll in JROTC starting in spring term. The three main obstacles:

  1. Diabetes (biggest one)
  2. Uniform
  3. Travel
have been overcome, almost. The handbook says that I do not have to undergo a physical before applying. Then uniform. Chapter 3 Paragraph 15 Sub-paragraph g states that: The student must agree to wear the Army JROTC uniform one school day per week. I talked with both Mrs. Orton (known as the uniform-nazi at Waterford), and Mr. Cole, the US Dean. Both seem to be in agreement that that wouldn't be a problem. Third obstacle is travel. The nearest duty station to my house is at Independence HS in Provo, about 15 minutes from here. Also, the bare minimum I would have to attend is 3 hours a week.

So, Dad, Mum, Alex, Waterford, Jake (somewhat), Mari, and Bishop McIntire seem if not supportive, in agreement that they'd rather see me do this than enlist, with no chance to get out. I'm excited, I haven't felt so... driven, yearning pretty hard for something that's gonna be horribly crappy sometimes, but still wanting it so much. It's really nice when I get closer to it.

In other news, I'm almost half-way through Winter Term, and my racquetball team is 3 wins to 0 losses. School's going good, home life is going good, and... it's great. Thanks for all the support guys!
Thanks,
(Hopeful) Cadet Private Doggett, 5th Brigade JROTC
P.S. Mari, did you know that there is a JROTC unit at Tate HS in Pensacola? It's apparently one of the most decorated and top-preforming JROTC units in the world. Cool huh?
Property of petalschools.com

No comments:

Post a Comment