Saturday, March 17, 2012

Book Review Saturdays

I had this great idea on Monday, as I was starting a new book, "What if I talk about the last book I read, not only will it help my writing skills, it will also force me to read a new, or kinda-unread book every week." So, here it is, reviewing the new biography on Steve Jobs, Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson.

The book Steve Jobs, by Walter Isaacson, is a in-depth and dynamic exploration of Job's life, from the circumstances surrounding his birth and adoption, to his bouts with cancer, death, and his resulting legacy. From his beginning, to his end, we find Jobs a genius, albeit a genius with an almost bipolar view, and uncontrolled emotions. We see his beginning fascination with design, electronics, and hard work, all fostered by his father, Paul Jobs. This book certainly does not present a biased review on this Father of Apple's life, and does, at times, portray him in a certain unflattering light. While I had a certain knowledge of early Apple, and Apple products, I did not know the corporate politics, technology increases, and temperamental outlook Jobs had at that time. It also goes in-depth with his, at best, spotty relationships with people. Steve was most definitively a jerk, and a very opinionated and uncaring one at that. With his imagination and need for perfection, from end to end of the Apple process, Jobs hurt many people with his scathing tongue, and uncensored remarks. However, at the final chapter, Isaacson remarks that Steve would not have become the person he was, if not for his perfect/crap feelings for everything. This book is about an unremitting jerk who changed the tech world, and the world at large, loudly and to great applause.

No comments:

Post a Comment