Thursday, December 15, 2011

Melancholy~Thought

I know it's not spelled right.



Today brings many feelings toward myself, prompting inner reflection. While American troops leave Iraq, prompting more political posturing by those who have no interest in our men and women's plight except another term in power, literary discussion brings forth more feelings. Feelings of death, of happiness, of our own pitiful existance. I say this with an almost enormous sense of inward sight. I mentioned English class before, and I want to elaborate. We finished "The Dead", and briefly discussed what the ending paragraph means. I don't have my book with me, so look it up yourself. It's by James Joyce.
Anywhay, 
Why does Man fear death. Not from a religious POV, but from a biological and emotional standpoint. We are all going to die right? What is the matter? It is revealed in that simple statement. We are all going to die. This is so significant, and so simplistic. No Man is eternal, all beginnings have an end. Yet, once again, why do we fear death? Wouldn't we be glad to end our pitiful struggle for existence and fade into oblivion, remembered by those we have touched in some way? I don't know.
To connect with the former thought I had.
Many things happen today to either make us realize how small we are in the Universe. To quote Douglas Adams, All we need to do to make us realize how small we all are is put us in a box and plug a piece of fairy cake into it. (Referring to Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy.) For example

  1. Troop withdrawal starts in Iraq. Who knows where else next.
  2. Poverty is widespread in the whole world, so is disease.
  3. Desolation, Wars, Rumors of wars, and Natural Disasters continue to plague the world
Why does this give us hope, you ask?
It tells us that this life is for us to take into our hands, to "fix", to make better, not for us, but for others. Doing so only helps us and them. That's why it's okay if we all die. If we can just get ourselves to help others, and make a chain reaction, then we will have started something that will continue on without us, so we can fade knowing a job well done.

I realize this post might've sounded morbid, cynical, or just depressed, but it's made me feel better about the world, my and our futures, and why we all die. So let us take our lives into our own hands and share our fortune, our good will, and our best with others, to ensure our posterity as one who helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment